Slewing Drive is also called slewing gear, worm gear, worm drive, rotary drive axle, rotary drive vice, slew drive, worm gear reducer and rotary drive unit. At present the majority of such devices are caller Slewing Drive.
Technical parameter for 9 inch slew drives
1. Type: 9inch slew drives
2. Self-locking gears: Yes
3. Rated output torque: 7.3kn-m
4. Tilting moment torque: 33.9kn-m
5. Static load rating(axial): 338
6. Static load rating(radial): 138
7. Dynamic load rating(axial): 81
8. Dynamic load rating(radial): 71
9. Gear Ratio: 61: 1
10. Weight: 50kgs
11. Delivery time: 30days
Here is onene of the biggest manlift platforms. With a maximum platform height of 57 m (187 ft) it is the only platform in its class outreaching 43 m (141 ft) to the side – a world record!
How this can be achieved? The solution is the patented turntable! And CHINAMFG is supplying the 2 vital Ball Slewing Rings and a Slew Drive as a drive unit!
Detailed technical data please kindly contact us directly.
Slewing drive introduction
1. Introduction of CHINAMFG slewing drive
LYHY Slewing Drive movement can reduce power consumption, since the security role. In addition to the field of use in the daily solar power systems are usually used for Special vehicle, heavy-duty flat-panel truck, container cranes, truck mounted crane, automobile crane and aerial vehicles, cranes, gantry cranes, small wind power stations, space communications, satellite receiver, etc…The Slewing Drive in the solar photovoltaic industry, the general configuration DC planetary reduction motor or AC geared motors; Main configuration of the hydraulic motor as a power-driven construction machinery
LYHY Slewing Drive principle of the large transmission ratio of the deceleration device to transmit motion and power between the 2 axes staggered in space. The Slewing Drive transmission is usually the case of the main components of the worm and wheel bearings, shell, and the power source
As the core component of turntable bearings, can withstand the axial load, radial load and overturning moment.
Slewing drive can be divided into 2 different structures as per different applications.
Light load slewing drive
Heavy load slewing drive
The dimensions of slewing drives include 3 inch, 5 inch, 7 inch, 9 inch, 12 inch, 14 inch, 17 inch, 21 inch and 25 inch.
Slewing drive is a special bearing. And a slewing drive usually consist of slewing bearing, worm shaft, housing, bearing, motor and so on. Motor drive the worm shaft, the outer ring of slewing bearing will rotate, the outer ring output the torque through flange while the inner ring of slewing bearing is fixed in housing.
LYHY Slewing Drive and rotary products, compared with the ease of installation, ease of maintenance, Installation space savings advantages to a greater extent.
Slewing drives are widely used in aerospace area, solar power systems, wind turbines, satellite broadcasting system, and engineering machinery like truck cranes, and man lifts, etc. Recently years, it has been prosperously used in photovoltaic power generation systems, special vehicle, heavy-duty flat-panel truck, container cranes, truck mounted crane, automobile crane and aerial vehicles, cranes, gantry cranes, small wind power stations, space communications, satellite receiver, etc.
|Model||Rated output torque /KN-m||Tilting Moment torque /KN-m||Load /KN||Gear ratio||Self-locking gears||Boundary dimensions (mm)||Weight (KG)|
|Static load rating, axial||Static load rating,radial||Dynamic load rating, axial||Dynamic load rating,radial||L||L1||L2||L3||H2||H3||H4||ΦD||ΦD1||ΦD2||ΦD3||ΦD4||ΦD5||n1-Y||n1-X||H||H1|
Are worm gears suitable for high-torque applications?
Worm gears are indeed well-suited for high-torque applications. Here’s a detailed explanation of why worm gears are suitable for high-torque applications:
Worm gears are known for their ability to provide significant speed reduction and torque multiplication. They consist of a threaded cylindrical gear, called the worm, and a toothed wheel, called the worm wheel or worm gear. The interaction between the worm and the worm wheel enables the transmission of motion and torque.
Here are the reasons why worm gears are suitable for high-torque applications:
- High gear reduction ratio: Worm gears offer high gear reduction ratios, typically ranging from 20:1 to 300:1 or even higher. The large reduction ratio allows for a significant decrease in rotational speed while multiplying the torque output. This makes worm gears effective in applications that require high levels of torque.
- Self-locking capability: Worm gears possess a unique self-locking property, which means they can hold position and prevent backdriving without the need for additional braking mechanisms. The angle of the worm thread creates a mechanical advantage that resists reverse rotation of the worm wheel, providing excellent self-locking characteristics. This self-locking capability makes worm gears ideal for applications where holding the load in place is crucial, such as in lifting and hoisting equipment.
- Sturdy and robust design: Worm gears are typically constructed with durable materials, such as steel or bronze, which offer high strength and resistance to wear. This robust design enables them to handle heavy loads and transmit substantial torque without compromising their performance or longevity.
- High shock-load resistance: Worm gears exhibit good resistance to shock loads, which are sudden or intermittent loads that exceed the normal operating conditions. The sliding contact between the worm and the worm wheel teeth allows for some degree of shock absorption, making worm gears suitable for applications that involve frequent or unexpected high-torque impacts.
- Compact and space-efficient: Worm gears have a compact design, making them space-efficient and suitable for applications where size is a constraint. The compactness of worm gears allows for easy integration into machinery and equipment, even when there are spatial limitations.
It’s important to consider that while worm gears excel in high-torque applications, they may not be suitable for high-speed applications. The sliding contact between the worm and the worm wheel generates friction, which can lead to heat generation and reduced efficiency at high speeds. Therefore, worm gears are typically preferred in low to moderate speed applications where high torque output is required.
When selecting a worm gear for a high-torque application, it’s important to consider the specific torque requirements, operating conditions, and any additional factors such as speed, efficiency, and positional stability. Proper sizing, lubrication, and maintenance are also crucial to ensure optimal performance and longevity in high-torque applications.
What are the environmental considerations when using worm gears?
When using worm gears, there are several environmental considerations to keep in mind. Here’s a detailed explanation of these considerations:
- Lubrication: Proper lubrication is essential for the efficient and reliable operation of worm gears. Lubricants help reduce friction and wear between the gear teeth, resulting in improved efficiency and extended gear life. When selecting lubricants, it is important to consider their environmental impact. Environmentally friendly lubricants, such as biodegradable or synthetic lubricants with low toxicity, can be used to minimize the potential harm to the environment in case of leakage or accidental spills.
- Leakage and contamination: Worm gear systems are susceptible to lubricant leakage, which can cause environmental pollution. It is important to ensure that the gear housing is properly sealed to prevent lubricant leakage into the environment. Regular inspections and maintenance should be carried out to detect and repair any leaks promptly. Additionally, measures should be taken to prevent contaminants such as dust, dirt, and water from entering the gear system, as they can degrade the lubricant and affect the gear performance.
- Energy efficiency: Worm gears, like any mechanical power transmission system, consume energy during operation. It is important to consider energy efficiency when selecting and designing worm gear systems. Optimal gear design, proper gear selection, and efficient lubrication practices can contribute to reducing energy consumption and minimizing the environmental impact associated with energy use.
- Noise and vibration: Worm gears can generate noise and vibration during operation. Excessive noise can contribute to noise pollution, while high vibration levels can impact the surrounding equipment and structures. To mitigate these effects, it is important to design and manufacture worm gears with low noise and vibration characteristics. This can involve careful gear design, proper lubrication, and the use of vibration-damping materials or mechanisms.
- End-of-life considerations: At the end of their service life, worm gear components may need to be replaced or recycled. Disposal of worn-out gears should be done in accordance with applicable environmental regulations. Whenever possible, recycling or reusing gear components can help reduce waste and minimize the environmental impact associated with the disposal of gear materials.
- Environmental regulations: Compliance with environmental regulations and standards is crucial when using worm gears. Different regions may have specific regulations governing the use and disposal of lubricants, materials, and manufacturing processes associated with gear systems. It is important to stay informed about these regulations and ensure compliance to avoid any adverse environmental impact and legal consequences.
By considering these environmental factors, it is possible to minimize the ecological footprint of worm gear systems and promote sustainable practices in their use and maintenance. This includes selecting environmentally friendly lubricants, implementing proper sealing and maintenance procedures, optimizing energy efficiency, and adhering to relevant environmental regulations.
How does a worm gear differ from other types of gears?
A worm gear differs from other types of gears in several ways. Here are the key differences:
- Gear Configuration: A worm gear consists of a threaded worm and a mating gear, known as the worm wheel or worm gear. The worm has a helical thread that meshes with the teeth of the worm wheel. In contrast, other types of gears, such as spur gears, bevel gears, and helical gears, have parallel or intersecting axes of rotation.
- Gear Ratio: Worm gears provide high gear reduction ratios compared to other types of gears. The ratio is determined by the number of teeth on the worm wheel and the number of threads on the worm. This high reduction ratio allows worm gears to transmit more torque while maintaining a compact size.
- Direction of Rotation: In a worm gear system, the worm can drive the worm wheel, but the reverse is not true. This is due to the self-locking nature of worm gears. The angle of the worm’s helical thread creates a wedging action that prevents the worm wheel from backdriving the worm. This characteristic makes worm gears suitable for applications requiring a mechanical brake or holding position.
- Efficiency: Worm gears typically have lower efficiency compared to other types of gears. This is primarily due to the sliding action between the worm’s threads and the worm wheel’s teeth, which leads to higher friction and energy losses. Therefore, worm gears are not ideal for applications that require high efficiency or continuous, high-speed operation.
- Lubrication: Worm gears require proper lubrication to reduce friction and wear. The sliding action between the worm and the worm wheel generates heat, which can affect the performance and lifespan of the gear system. Lubricants help to dissipate heat and provide a protective film between the mating surfaces, reducing friction and extending the gear’s life.
- Applications: Worm gears are commonly used in applications that require high gear reduction, compact size, and self-locking capabilities. They are found in various industries, including elevators, automotive steering systems, machine tools, robotics, and winding mechanisms.
Overall, the unique design and characteristics of worm gears make them suitable for specific applications where high torque, compactness, and self-locking features are essential, even though they may have lower efficiency compared to other types of gears.
editor by CX 2023-10-31